Sunday, April 8, 2012

Sometimes I Just Don't Want to Know

In general, there is a point in relationships where you decide that either you want to get to know this person better (knowing that their could be stuff you don't want to know about or deal with) or you want to keep this relationship on the same level and go no deeper.

I'm feeling like I would rather take the second course of action with Lyndon B. Johnson. This short story,"Lyndon," has pushed me to a point where I'm thinking that the Johnson I read about in the history books was more pleasant than the mental picture I'm building as I read on page by page.

I think this is especially true of major historical figures. For example, I wouldn't mind learning more about some of the people in my classes or that I've met through various extracurriculars. They are interesting people and while their lives can be messed up, somehow that doesn't usually destroy my view of them.

But historical figures, they don't have a chance to redeem themselves. When you find out that the queen you looked up to was actually rather cruel, or that Helen Keller grew up to be very different than the girl who stuck her hand under a pump, or that Christopher Columbus wasn't the nice explorer you thought he was, you don't get to see them redeem themselves. Forever after, your image is tainted. 

That's not to say that knowing the truth isn't better than the idealistic picture. It's just more disappointing.

I guess all that is to say that I don't really want to read any more about Lyndon B. Johnson on a personal level. True or not, he's been ruined for me by a farting scene. I don't know if I'll ever be able to think about the huge impact he had on American history without seeing that scene.

I hope Libra isn't like this short story. Because there is truly some stuff I just don't want to know.

1 comment:

Mitchell said...

Is it just me, or is there also something compelling or *likeable* about Wallace's portrait of LBJ? He's crude and profane, sure, and in a way that seems fully incompatible with the dignity of his office. (And, as with Clinton, maybe there are things that take place behind the scenes that we'd really prefer not to know!) But in an age where politicians are all so careful, controlled, and constructed by the media arm of their campaigns, to me there's something so compellingly human about Lyndon behind the scenes--his earthy humor and spontaneity, and even his romantic talk about Lady Bird, are strangely endearing. Like a slightly drunk and profane but ultimately good-hearted and sincere uncle.